- The Python interpreter that’s built in to Mac OSX opens. How to install Python on Windows. Unfortunately, Python doesn’t come on Windows. If you’re running Windows, then you need to download and install Python by following the instructions here. Installing Python on Windows isn’t difficult.
- This guide will show you how to run a Python script in the Mac Terminal (command line) in either Mac OS X or MacOS.
- Press Download Python 3.7.4or the version you would like to download. 2) After downloading the installer, open it to install Python 3. Python 3.7.4 installer Read Mecontains the following note about Python 3 and Python 2 Co-existence. Thus, to run Python 3, you can run Python3or Python3.X.X(a specific version that you installed on your machine).
Running Python On Mac
Go to: Na-Rae Han's home page
Python 3 Notes [ HOME LING 1330/2330 ]
Installing Python 3 on a Mac
<< Previous Note Next Note >>
- Head to python.org. Click 'Downloads', then download the latest version from there:
This downloads the 64-bit version of the latest Python release (3.8.5 as of August 2020).
- Alternatively, if you start from the release page such as https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-385/, you should scroll all the way to the bottom and choose 'macOS 64-bit installer', for OS X 10.9 and later. See screenshot here.
- NOTE: If your Mac's OS version is older than 10.9 (year 2013), I recommend upgrading your OS first. If you are unable to, see this FAQ for how to install Python on an older version of Mac OS.
- Proceed with installation. If everything goes fine, you should see an IDLE shortcut in your Launchpad.
- Go ahead and try it out! Video tutorial here.
Should I Re-install? If you already have a working version of Python on your laptop, you might be wondering if it is OK to keep it or you should re-install. The run-down:
- Already have Python 3 but older version
If you previously installed an earlier version of Python 3 (say, 3.3.1 or something), then you should either update it or simply un-install it and then install the newest version of Python 3. That way, you can make sure you are working in the exactly same setup with the rest of the class, which just might save you some headache stemming from a configuration unique to your machine.
- I have Anaconda Python
That works too! Make sure to update it to the latest 3.X version. There is one caveat: in LING 1330/2330, we will be using the interpretive shell interface via IDLE rather than Jupyter Notebook you probably have been using. This is how you launch IDLE for Anaconda Python:
- Open up a Terminal.
- Type in idle3 &, followed by ENTER. ('&' keeps Terminal usable while IDLE window is open.)
How To Download And Run Python On Mac Free
Download the graphical macOS installer for your version of Python. RECOMMENDED: Verify data integrity with SHA-256. For more information on hashes, see What about cryptographic hash verification? Double-click the downloaded file and click continue to start the installation. Answer the prompts on the Introduction, Read Me, and License screens.